Sunday, April 27, 2014

XXX: Retirement Pale Ale

I figured I had to have a pale ale to complement the porter for my big shindig so I brewed a nice golden today with my homegrown hops. I used an ounce of the garden-produced Cascades for bittering and added a half ounce apiece at 15 minutes remaining in the boil (for flavor) and 5 minutes left (for aroma). I think I might stick a sack of the same in the keg or the carboy as well to capture that fresh, citrusy bouquet in the finished brew. We'll see how it turns out. Ten pounds of 2-row and a pound of CaraMunich produced five gallons at 12ºP (1.048) which is just about right. Again I used the Safale-05 for a clean ferment with none of the lingering yeastiness I sometimes get from the 04 variety. Another successful brew day, plus a series sweep by the Giants!


a.d.V Kal.Mai.


2 comments:

Zo said...

You may be interested in this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/science/craft-beer-at-the-genetic-level.html?ref=science&_r=0

M.C. O'Connor said...

I saw that!

I think we were linked to the same article via SF Gate, am I right?