Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Grind

Yes, it is the tried & true workhorse of many a homebrewer, the Corona mill! I "got crankin' " yesterday for today's brew. As you can see it was a gorgeous autumnal day. That is a redwood 2 x 6 the mill is clamped to, and the plastic patio chair is just the right height. I can sit next to this set-up and leisurely grind away. Some day I suppose I'll get an automated roller mill, but that's quite a spendy item, and I'm not ready to take the plunge. The Corona crushes the grist a bit too much, but my small-scale system is forgiving, and I rarely have trouble with the mash. I admit my extraction rates are pretty low, but the run-offs rarely get stuck. This new kick I'm on, the "no-sparge brew," will require quite a bit more grain, and a higher conversion/extraction efficiency would be nice, but I'm not going to sweat over it. I'll be posting more picture of the scheme here at FSB over the next several weeks, so stay tuned!



No comments: